background

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Serenity...


Most of you have probably seen or heard this prayer at some point in your life. For me, I didn't know the second half existed until about a year ago when I learned it during Celebrate Recovery. And wow, how much of an eye opener the entire thing is.

First off, what exactly is serenity? Serenity is the state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled.Let me tell you, I have a lot of un-serene problems over here in my life. And guess what I find myself doing about them? TALKING ABOUT THEM! Not praying (or not as much as I should), and definitely not doing something to CHANGE them!

I definitely haven't had the COURAGE to change the things I can. Why? Because I constantly allow satan to fill me with guilt. Whether it be fear of "stepping on someone's toes" or feeling like I'm partially to blame for situations. I haven't stopped and asked God for that courage. He is waiting on me to ask, when I should be the one waiting to receive the courage.

Not to mention, have I even tried to receive the WISDOM it takes to know the difference between what I have the ability to change and what I don't. Definitely not! Even though this prayer begins with the granting of serenity and courage I think what I need first is the WISDOM! And wisdom isn't found by constantly talking about my problems, the same problems most of the time, over and over and over....you get the picture. 

So, how do we gain wisdom? The Bible tells us in James 1:5-6 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind." That's it, it's that simple. We just have to ASK God. Which means, stop complaining, stop "venting", stop WORRYING and simply ask God and have FAITH that He will answer. Because the Bible also reminds us in the same chapter of James that those remain steadfast in a trial will be blessed and given the crown of life, promised by God, to those who love him.


I won't go into the depths of the rest of the prayer, today, but it has a simple message that most of us have missed out on! We can only live one day at a time, one moment at time. If we try to live in another moment in time by worrying about something we will find we missed out on so many moments as they were happening right in front of us. We are also reminded that there WILL be hardships but they are a pathway to a peace. A peace that God grants us that, according to God's word, will surpass all understanding. Recognizing that this world will never, ever be like the one we want it to be but with God, we can live REASONABLY happy in this life, and SUPREMELY happy in the next with God, FOREVER.

 I don't know about y'all but SUPREMELY happy with GOD, FOREVER is the high I want to be on! Until next time y'all...

Photobucket

1 comment :